Saturday, April 02, 2005

Stairway to Heaven...

So it's late and the vigil is on the news stations.Of course I've been clicking through news sites most of the afternoon.We all know the end is coming soon for Pope John Paul II.

I know I make the occasional Pope joke on the blog but ok I'll admit I've always been jealous of his car. I mean who doesn't want a Popemobile?

But as the world waits for that final announcement of his death it gives me time to think about my own spirituality. I really don't have much.

And I wonder whether I should even bother talking about it here because this blog is normally the place for silly bunny photos and my goofy jokes of suburban life.

I am a very "lapsed" Catholic as the saying goes. In fact, with the exception of weddings and funerals I really don't go to church at all.That includes holidays.
Mainly because my political beliefs don't jibe with Catholicism.

Groucho Marx had a famous remark "I don't wish to belong to a club that would have me as a member." That's how I consider myself. They have their way of thinking and I have mine.Their beliefs on those points will never change, and I don't think my views will either. So thanks for the wafers and cool organ music but I'll be toddlin' off now.

Ok so that's my beef with the instiution of the church- but back to John Paul II. As a student of history it is impossible to ignore the historical impact he has had on the world in the latter half of the 20th century. His support of his native Poland gave hope to the Solidarity labor movement and other Eastern European countries, his strong stance against Communism was another factor for its downfall in the 1980's.

He was the first media savvy Pope and went to all corners of the globe. I guess the world is just so used to him being around on the nightly news after 26 years that you almost don't envy the man who comes next. He will have such a hard act to follow.

Despite my ideological conflicts it's really hard to dislike this man who always seemed generally happy with his duties.When I was younger Pope Paul VI gave me the willies as this dour old guy. Pope John Paul II had a sense of joy about his calling.


There is sadness at the world losing a citizen who tried to be a force of good and succeeded for so many years. He brought inspiration to many people. I may not return to being a practicing Catholic but you can't help but feel empathy for those of strong Faith at this time.

Vaya con Dios.

No comments: