Saturday, June 04, 2005

Jabber Jaws...

The 30th anniversary of Jaws was being celebrated in Martha's Vineyard this weekend. Author Peter Benchley showed up and a taped message from Steven Speilberg were at the festivities. A mechancial Bruce the Shark dropped by as well.

I remember that summer when Jaws came out. Everybody kept talking about the shark. Now I lived nowhere near a beach with sharks. Ok, there was a small "beach" on Lake Erie a few miles from my house but when people said, "Don't go into the water" the catch phrase from the movie - they were probably referring to all the sludge that was Lake Erie in the 1970's.

I had a pool in my backyard when I was growing up. It was a big massive redwood pool with an 8 ft. deep end. ..a walkaround deck and a popular place for the neighborhood during the summer months. MARCO! POLO!

It's funny how the mind can play tricks on you. I'd be swimming around at night and even though it was an enclosed pool in the middle of the suburbs with no sharks for hundred of miles..there were times I'd get nervous swimming in the deep end.That damn John Williams music echoing in my head.

Yes, I know I think I went 'off the deep end'..but that's a kid imagination for you.

Oh well, there's another fish tale for you.

No comments: