Monday, September 19, 2005

Wait of the World...

I woke up this morning around 7:30. The old hot water heater was kaput and today was the day Joe Repairman was coming out to rip the old one out and install a new one. Yes, this is the cliffhanger here in the Prattcave. Will the old hot water heater turn Pratt's basement into a suburb of the lost city of Atlantis?

After breakfast, and reading the newspaper, Greyton and Twizzle had to be herded upstairs. They would freak out with Joe Repairman lugging a giant water heater past them while they tried to take naps. Upstairs they went- rather reluctantly,but when they realized they got to schmooze with Princess and Baxter they seemed a lot happier.

So I waited..and waited..and waited some more. No Joe Repairman. East Coast Amber called to remind me to talk like a pirate and we exchangfed Arrrrr's(see previous post) and then after being thoroughly bored my phone rang again and it was Mary Ann.

She was waiting too...for her car..which I think hasn't been street legal for a year and ahalf , and now she was taking care of that situation.I rambled on about Talk like a Pirate day and would try to trick her into saying pirate stuff like :

"What letter comes between Q and S? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"


I'm surprised she didn't hang up on me. But there we both were just waiting for other people to fix our problems as she put it.

My other phone rang. It was Joe Repairman! He needed directions from one nearby town to my house...and I froze. I was clueless how to get to point A to point B because in this area there are about a jillion different routes, expressways, turnpikes,streets, avenues, and alleyways..so I sounded like King ASSHAT the Magnificent by giving out Mrs. P.'s cellphone so she could guide him to our place.

One of Mrs. Pratt's super powers is her exceptional directional ability. She knows her roads. Meanwhile I have all the navigation skills of the Jupiter 2. Forget Daniel Boone. I'm Daniel Boob.

It was an hour later that Joe Repairman showed up, and thankfully was able to install the new water heater without any calamities. The bad part was since he didn't show up until 3;45 i could have worked almost a full day and just left early. Oh well, I didn't mind spending the afternoon waiting with Mary Ann. Good things do happen to those who wait.

No comments: