Sunday, September 11, 2005

We Welcome You To Munchkin Land...

Hollywood came to my town this weekend. Turner Classic movies presented an exhibit called Lights, Camera, Classics. This special presentation of movie memorabillia included costumes from some of the greatest movies of all time like Giant, My Fair Lady, Gone with the Wind, and Cool Hand Luke.

They also had a special photo process set up- where you could place yourself within one of your favorite old movies. Given my heart trouble of course I picked the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. The Photo is at the end of this post.

But speaking of the Wizard of Oz...the highlight of my day- I met Munchkins! Two of the original Munchkins from the 1939 MGM version were making an appearance. I got a chance to meet them , get their autographs and havve my picture taken with them.

They were Margartet Pellegrini one of the "Sleepyhead" Munchkins and Clarence Swensen- who was one of the Soldiers who marched to "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead."

They were very nice and you could tell everybody was absolutely thrilled to see them. People instantly smiled, many were flipping out camera phones and taking pictures. Within moments of their arrival a huge crowd gathered and they got some nice applause.

So now I have met an Oompa Loompa, and Munchkins. And I was able to share the experiences with you.

There's no place like Blog. And now for the photos...


Pratt meets the Munchkins! Here I am with Clarence Swensen and Margaret Pellegrini, Two of the original Munchkins from the 1939 MGM classic "The Wizard of Oz."


The Munchkins in popular demand. Signing autographs for us.


Original Munchkin Margaret Pellegrini says hello to a young girl dressed as Dorothy.It was a sweet moment.


We're off to see the Wizard...


Shirt worn by James Dean for his role of Jett Rink in "Giant".


Elizabeth Taylor dress worn in "Giant".


Dress worn by Vivian Leigh in "Gone With The Wind".


Leslie Caron outfit from "Gigi".


Robe worn in a scene of "Adam's Rib" by Katherine Hepburn.


Audrey Hepburn's costume as Eliza Doolittle for "My Fair Lady".


Dress worn by Judy Garland in "A Star Is Born".


An original shooting script for "The Wizard of Oz".


Rober DeNiro's boxing trunks from "Raging Bull".


A shooting script for Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney.


Paul Newman's prison clothes from "Cool Hand Luke".


Through some movie magic...I get to be the Tin Man.

No comments: